Notice of bankruptcy

Generally, if a student or university vendor files for bankruptcy, the university must temporarily stop collection efforts relating to that student’s or vendor’s account. Additionally, for a certain period of time, the university cannot impose restrictions generally associated with a defaulted account. For example, for a certain period of time, the university cannot hold a student’s transcript. Because there are restrictions and rules that are unique to bankruptcy, it is important that the university know when a student or vendor has filed for bankruptcy. Therefore, if you receive a bankruptcy notice stating that a current or former UO student or a vendor has filed for bankruptcy, please immediately send that notice to the following offices:

For students, please send the notice to the Director of Student Financial Services at the Thompson University Center, or email
For vendors, please send the notice to the general counsel's office at 219 Johnson Hall, or email to

Communication regarding a tax issue

Although the university is generally exempt from paying income tax, it still encounters tax issues from time to time. These issues cover a broad spectrum of matters, which include unrelated business income tax (UBIT), tax-exempt bond compliance, employment tax, gifts, retirement plans and other employee benefits, employee business expense reimbursements, and a variety of other items. If you are one of the unfortunate employees faced with a tax law concern, please contact Craig Ashford, the unfortunate general counsel attorney who enjoys these questions. Craig can be reached by calling the general counsel's office at (541) 346-3082 or e-mailing